After Kruger, what more is there to say? Most of my time has been eaten up with data entry, not exactly the most blog-worthy activity. I went to a comedy show last weekend, which on top of being lots of fun, taught me a lot about South African politics. The country also observed the first Mandela Day on his 91st birthday last Saturday. There were festivals and impromptu parties around town, although Mandela himself asked for each person to give 67 minutes of service--a minute for each year he spent as an activist.
On Monday, I climbed Table Mountain proper in lieu of working. It was a perfect day, and from the top you can turn around and see down the Cape Peninsula, out over the Atlantic, and out to the Winelands. While we didn't get lost, I wouldn't say that we took the most direct route home. "I think my muscle is breaking down," my fellow hiker said the next day.
I did make it back out to the Winelands, where I conducted interviews, ate well, and thought of never leaving. It is beautiful there, and the weather is autumnal--it reminds me that I'll come back to a month of summer* and then fall, with its cool nights, foliage, and fresh apples. It's nice to look forward to coming home, although I am getting sad about leaving. It's been a lovely two months.
One week to go! Today is an informal township tour, courtesy of my friends who actually live in the townships.
*apologies to Bostonians.
Saturday, July 25, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment